Academics are the cornerstone of the Honors Program, and we want to ensure that students take full advantage of the enriching Honors academic opportunities. It is important for you to earn the number of honors credits you need to take per year as you work toward Sophomore Honors, graduation as an Honors Scholar, and the Honors Academic Participation requirements.
Honors Academic Participation Requirements
The Honors Academic Participation Requirements vary depending upon your catalog year, which is usually the year that you entered the University. You will meet these requirements by earning Honors credit through Honors courses, Honors course conversions, or graduate courses. Exceptions to the minimum Honors credit requirement may be granted for students who study abroad or participate in internship/co-op work for the academic year.
- If you are following the 2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog or earlier, you must earn Honors credit at least once per academic year.
- If you are following the 2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog or later, you must earn 6 Honors credits per academic year.
- Depending on the timing of your entry to UConn and your date of graduation, you may be eligible for being grandfathered to the “old” (2011-2012 or earlier) requirements. Details can be found on the “Understanding Honors Requirements and Catalog Year” page.
Dismissal Due to Insufficient Honors Credits
- Each summer the Honors Program will review your record to verify that you have met the academic participation requirement by earning the appropriate number of Honors credits.
- If you have not fulfilled the academic participation requirement for your catalog year, you will be sent a link to an Honors Academic Participation Dismissal Appeal form requesting documentation of your Honors academic participation.
- Please fill out the required Honors Academic Participation Dismissal Appeal form by the deadline listed on the form.
- Students will be notified of the acceptance of their appeal by September 10, 2014.
- If you received notification and do not complete this form by September 5, 2014, you will be dropped from the Honors Program.
Minimum Grade in an Honors Course
You must earn a minimum of B- on an Honors course, conversion, or graduate course to receive Honors credit.