Date: Saturday, April 29, 2018
Ceremony: 10:30 a.m.
(doors to the Jorgensen will open at 9:30 a.m.)
Location: Jorgensen Auditorium
Who May Participate
Students who completed their degrees the previous December (who did not attend the ceremony last May) or are candidates planning to graduate this May, August, or December and have submitted the required Honors Final Plan of Study and Thesis Plan forms or University Scholar Final Plan of Study forms will receive an invitation to this event. Learn more about graduation.
What to Expect
- Graduating students, Honors faculty, and other distinguished guests will participate in a processional march at Jorgensen Auditorium. The processional will begin promptly at 10:30 a.m.
- The ceremony will feature the presentation of medals. Each graduating Honors Scholar and University Scholar will receive a medal on a neck ribbon, presented by a member of the Honors Board of Associate Directors. The medals may also be worn at Commencement.
- Recipients of the Honors Faculty Member Award and Distinguished Honors Alumni Award will also be recognized.
Medals Ceremony Student Speaker
The student keynote speaker represents the current graduating class at the Honors Medals Ceremony. The top graduating Honors Scholars and University Scholars will be sent invitations asking interested candidates to nominate themselves as the Medals Ceremony student speaker. A committee of student and faculty representatives will evaluate application materials and interviews. The speaker will be announced by early April.
- After receiving the invitation, students must RSVP by the date specified, to University Events & Conference Services: email@example.com or call (860) 486-1038. Please provide the number of guests attending and the phonetic spelling of your name (if appropriate). (Invitations will be sent after spring break.)
- Students must wear a graduation robe (no cap) to participate. Regalia is available for purchase at the UConn Bookstore.
- There will be no rehearsal. Students should arrive at Jorgensen no later than 9:45 a.m. There will be a logistical briefing immediately prior to the 10:30 a.m. start time.
- Students should leave cell phones and personal belongings at home (or give them to a guest).
- Students unable to attend the Medals Ceremony may pick up their medals at the Honors Program office (ROWE 419) beginning the Monday after the ceremony.
- If you would like to submit photos of your experience as an Honors Scholar at UConn to be included in a slideshow presentation that plays in Jorgensen before the start of the ceremony, please submit your photos (here – coming soon).
- Doors to the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts will open at 9:30 a.m. Seating is first come, first served on the auditorium floor and balcony. (As noted below: There is no elevator to balcony seating.)
- Students and guests requiring accommodations to participate should read the information below and contact University Events and Conference Services at (860) 486-1038 as soon as possible to confirm arrangements.
- Please note, due to the large number of attendees, only one additional seat will be reserved next to the guest in need of handicap accessible seating. The remainder of the party will be responsible for obtaining seats in general seating.
Accommodations for Students/Guests with Disabilities:
- Handicap accessible seating is available on the main auditorium level of the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts. Accessible restrooms are located on the Lower Lobby level. Elevator service is available from the Main Lobby to the Lower Lobby only. There is no elevator service to seats in the mezzanine or balconies.
- Assistive Listening Devices are available free of charge from the Front Office.
- Handicap accessible parking is available in the North Parking Garage.
In an effort to provide you with a positive event experience, we offer the following information with regard to traveling to campus and parking:
UConn Storrs Campus/North Garage (Google Map)
I-84 east to exit 68. Turn right onto Route 195 south.
I-84 west to exit 68. Turn left onto Route 195 south.
Travel south on Route 195 through the intersection with Route 32. At the intersection with Route 44 (CVS on corner), turn right onto Route 44 West. At first light, turn left to utilize Discovery Drive, a convenient new road leading into campus from the north. The road leads directly to the North Parking Garage.
Parking available in the North Parking Garage. $5.00 pre-pay, cash only. Parking also available in all surface lots at no charge.
For GPS users: North Parking Garage address is 103 North Eagleville Road, Storrs, CT 06269
Campus map: http://maps.uconn.edu/
Medals Ceremony Photo Archive