English language program inspires a year in Korea

By Cheryl Cranick, Honors Program

It’s fall right now in Korea; “crisp and cool at night, while still pleasantly warm during the day,” said Emily Szkudlarek ’12. The CLAS Honors psychology graduate arrived in the country during the humid season in August this year and recuperated from the 15-hour flight during a weeklong orientation. Then she began her role as a guest English teacher in the city of Gyeongju.

Last October, Szkudlarek applied for EPIK (English Program in Korea), which she first learned about at UConn’s Asian American Cultural Center. The Republic of Korea (often referred to by Westerners as South Korea) believes part of the nation’s development is dependent upon English language skills taught in public schools. “The Korean government has promoted English education starting at an early age, with a focus on communication skills not English grammar taught out of a book,” said Szkudlarek.

Szkudlarek had a personal interest in Asia, specifically choosing Korea after having tutored a young girl from the country. The child’s mother was on sabbatical at UConn. Planning, paperwork, an FBI background check, a TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign language) online certification, and lots of waiting were part of the competitive application process, she said, as was a Skype interview on Korean Standard Time. Hers was held at midnight, Eastern Standard Time.

Emily Szkudlarek ’12 outside the Gyerim Elementary School in Korea.
‘So many different English accents’

Her father and her friends were highly supportive of her wish to live overseas for a year before graduate school. “Mom, however, was not so enthusiastic, and worried about me leaving for a whole year to a new country where I didn’t speak the language,” said Szkudlarek. But upon her arrival in Korea, and her first week with EPIK, Szkudlarek began to meet not only inviting citizens, but also other teachers hired as native English educators. “The EPIK Program recruits teachers from seven countries: USA, Canada, South Africa, Ireland, U.K., New Zealand, and Australia,” said Szkudlarek. “I have never heard so many different English accents in one place in my life!”

From orientation at Jeongju University, she moved to her current location of Gyeongju. It’s a smaller, historic city in the southeastern part of the country. “It is gorgeous here with mountains all around and cherry blossoms in the spring,” she said. “There are shops close by that process pumpkins or make noodles, and you can smell the cooking from restaurants. There are small gardens that grow hot peppers, lettuce, sesame, or squashes. Overall, it is a fairly quiet city, except during some weekends when there are firework shows over the river or a concert in one of the soccer stadiums.”

Szkudlarek teaches at Gyerim Elementary School, working with students from kindergarten to sixth grade. Though this is her first time formally teaching, in addition to having served as a tutor in the past, Szkudlarek focused on learning grammar as part of her Honors thesis research. She spent time in a UConn lab exploring the concept from both genetic and psychological perspectives. “In graduate school, I hope to study more on the science of learning with a specific application to education,” said Szkudlarek.

Emily Szkudlarek ’12 in the classroom at Gyerim Elementary School in Korea.

In her own classroom, Szkudlarek notes that each age presents unique challenges and rewards. With older students, “we can cover more complex topics, like past tense or intonation patterns, and when my students understand these topics I really feel that being a native speaker of the language is useful,” noted Szkudlarek. Third and fourth graders are beginning the dynamics of language, and “are not used to having to actually study.” But as her experience grows, she feels more confident that they are learning. “And of course, the kindergarteners are just really cute,” she said.

The school provides her with technology, supplies, books, and support from other teachers. In her classroom, “we do a lot of role playing activities or games where they have to speak to me or each other,” she said. “Younger children respond best to songs.” And though a vibrant class keeps her on her toes, literally, “in Korea, nobody wears shoes in the school. Everyone, from the students to the teachers, changes into slippers as soon as they enter the building…comfortable shoes all day while you are on your feet!”

After class

Outside of her classroom, Szkudlarek is no stranger to her neighbors. “…Everyone around here knows who I am and says hello when I’m on the streets. I have been walking to the bank and will hear, ‘Emily teacher! Emily teacher!’ and a bunch of sixth-grade girls run up to me and ask me what I’m doing.”

Szkudlarek
Emily Szkudlarek ’12 in Korea.

Although she lives alone in a small studio apartment provided by the program, she spends a fair amount of time with other EPIK teachers, whether in Gyeongju or surrounding areas. She has already traveled to other cities, noting public transportation is easy and fast. English is more common in the larger municipalities; less so in Gyeongju. But even strangers she meets in her city who are not as proficient in English are still inviting. “I have had people come up to me on the streets and ask, ‘Where are you from?’ I reply, ‘USA.’ They say, ‘Welcome to Korea!’ and then smile and walk away. I am fairly certain that is the extent of their English ability, and it is always very sweet and welcoming.”

Already able to speak basic Polish, thanks to her father’s family, the cultural immersion of Gyeongju is helping Szkudlarek further expand her language skills. “I am able to read [Korean], but slowly,” she said. “And I have picked up basic survival phrases.” She is hoping to begin Korean classes at a local university soon.

When she left the States, Szkudlarek brought with her lots of clothes and a year’s supply of fluoridated toothpaste. She left everything else at home. “It’s useful to be flexible when adjusting to a new culture and way of life. Before coming to Korea, I didn’t have many specific expectations other than it would be very different from Connecticut. Those expectations have definitely been met.”

Return to the Fall 2012 issue of the Honors Alumni eNewsletter