How an Honors Student Goes to a UConn Basketball Game

Perhaps something you may not know is that Honors students at the University of Connecticut are among the most supportive fans of UConn Basketball on campus. We truly embrace Huskymania. You will often see Honors students in the front row at both men’s and women’s games, leading cheers, singing the fight song, shouting, and jumping up and down to the point of exhaustion. Honors students at UConn take pride in every aspect of our university, and athletics are no exception.

So let me describe to you my typical experience at a UConn basketball game on campus at Gampel Pavilion. I start by getting in line a few hours early in order to make sure I’ll be able to get my usual front row seat. If I have a class during this time, someone will switch off with me so that we can keep our spots. I’m speaking, of course, of taking my place in line, not class. It’s never a good idea to switch off classes with friends, no matter how excited you are about the game! Depending on my mood, I will spend my time in line doing anything from listening to my iPod to studying for a midterm. Eventually, I’ll perk up from whatever I’m doing to boo the opposing team as it walks off the bus into Gampel. (As I said, Huskymania is a powerful force.) The doors open an hour and a half before game time. I rush down to the front row to grab my seat along with my friends.

Then comes the most important part of preparation for the game–break out the face paint. I paint half of my face blue and the other half white, adding a U and a C as a finishing touch. A blue and white wig adds to the ensemble. Finally, I don my Jonathan the Husky cape and head back down to the front row to watch our players warm up. I’m ready.

Game time. All of the students and fans start the game by clapping until UConn scores its first basket. The student section stands during the entire game, jumping and shouting when our team is on defense and yelling a cycle of cheers (U-C-O-N-N, U-C Let’s Go!, and Let’s Go Huskies!) when it’s on offense. TV cameras turn to the front row to get our excited reaction after a thunderous dunk, huge blocked shot, or swished 3-pointer. By the end of the game, I have sore calves and a hoarse voice, but it’s worth it every time.

All UConn students, including Honors students, show incredible pride, spirit, and enthusiasm for this university because we are:

Students Today. Huskies Forever.

John Dearborn ’13 (Political Science)
HIPS Coordinator