Real World Preparation Characterizes Student Nurse’s Education

Profile photo of Mallory Perry, 2014 school of nursing student.
Mallory Perry ’14 (NUR) is interested in pediatric intensive care. (Peter Morenus/UConn Photo)

By Lauren Lalancette

A number of Division III schools vied for Middletown’s Mercy High School athlete of the year to enroll, but Mallory Perry ’14 (NUR) chose UConn because her future career was her top priority.

“It was all about the academics when I chose UConn,” Perry says. “There were so many different schools I could’ve gone to, but I knew I wouldn’t get into the WNBA.”

Perry decided to forgo a college basketball career at another school and instead selected UConn because it would give her an outstanding education in nursing, a career goal she’d discovered as a result of volunteer experiences while in high school.

As part of her nursing education Perry is doing several clinical rotations. She’s currently at the Hospital for Special Care, a rehabilitation facility in New Britain, where she is working with two-month-old babies with congenital anomalies. “Now I know I want to work with even younger really sick infants,” she says.

Beginning in May and continuing through August, Perry will embark on a paid internship that also earns three credits at the UConn Health Center’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).

While many might find that work environment stressful beyond endurance, Perry says, “This will be my first time doing exactly what I think I want to do in my career. I like the babies’ vulnerability, and then seeing their progression. These babies are called ‘Grads of NIC U.’ Helping babies to make that progress outweighs any negatives.”

Perry was among the 90 students accepted out of 2,000 that applied to UConn’s School of Nursing in 2010. While initially leery that UConn would be too large for her, she says she “loves it now,” explaining that living in the Nursing Learning Community made the University’s size manageable.

There are 26 learning communities on campus, in which students live and study with others who share their major, career interest, or passion for issues such as the environment. While there are more than 17,000 undergraduates on the Storrs campus, the typical learning community is home to between 20 and 120 students. The Nursing Learning Community is one of the largest.

Research and community health work

When Perry was offered admission to the University, she was also invited to join the John and Valerie Rowe Health Professions Scholars Program, open to Connecticut residents whose backgrounds are underrepresented in the health fields. The scholarship includes an invitation to join the approximately 9 percent of student-scholars enrolled in UConn’s prestigious Honors Program.

“The Honors Program is great because I’ve gotten to conduct research as an undergrad,” Perry says. “My advisor, [assistant professor of nursing] Michelle Judge, says I’ll have at least one published paper before I graduate.” Perry is using a $4,000 research grant from the Rowe Program to investigate the potential of fish oil to alleviate the duration and severity of PMS symptoms.

The research expands upon a study another UConn student began, that had focused on Caucasian women, looking at whether race influences PMS and at the curative power of fish oil. Although Perry’s research is demanding, not least because of the time it took to recruit women of color for her study, she earned UConn’s New England Scholar designation. This recognizes students who achieve at least a 3.7 GPA for two sequential semesters.

Besides conducting research independently, Perry is an Urban Health Scholar. Students in the Urban Service Track are competitively selected from among undergraduate and graduate students in the Schools of Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work, Medicine, and Dental Medicine. Typically there is a wait list to join the program, as more students apply to the program than can be accommodated. About 10 students per school are chosen to learn and work as an interdisciplinary team, receiving clinical training to help Connecticut’s urban underserved communities through service activities and learning retreats.

“I’m always the youngest on my team,” Perry observes.

Although she has already completed the Urban Health Track’s minimum requirements, she says she still volunteers because she loves it. Community health fairs on various different themes – ranging from kidney health, to senior citizens, to encouraging middle school students to pursue careers in the health care field – particularly captured Perry’s interest.

“What I found most interesting was when people with HIV attended an Urban Health Track learning retreat,” Perry says. “They told us how they want to be treated by their health care providers. That helps me in my practice.”

Adapted from UConn Today