University of Connecticut

Honors Conversions

There are cases in which you may earn Honors credits in a non-Honors course. To do this, you submit an Honors conversion form and “convert” it to Honors credit by completing an Honors conversion activity.  Another way to earn Honors credit in a non-Honors course is to take an “Honors enhanced” course. (An enhancement is essentially a group conversion that allows more than one Honors student to convert the non-Honors class as a collective Honors conversion experience). Click here for the forms page.

Honors Conversion Deadlines

Fall/Spring: End of third week of classes  |   Inter/Sum session: End of first week of class

What are the standards for an Honors conversion?

  • Go more deeply into method or theory
  • Address more sophisticated questions and/or include more advanced or demanding readings or problems
  • Satisfy more rigorous standards than non-Honors coursework

return to top

Examples of Honors conversion projects:

  • Researching and writing an extra scholarly paper
  • Preparing and delivering a presentation of relevant material to the class
  • Attending symposia or lecture series and writing critical reviews of the ideas presented
  • Participation in additional service activities or field experience and analyzing one’s experiences
  • Completing an additional set of challenging problems or laboratory experiments
  • Participation in regular seminars that complement a class

return to top

To convert or enhance a course, you must:

  • Contact the instructor and discuss the possibility of converting it to Honors credit
  • Develop a plan with the instructor to work individually or as part of a group to advance the curriculum
  • Submit a signed Course Conversion Agreement within the first 3 weeks of the semester
  • Successfully complete any additional assignments and earn a B- or higher in the course
  • Follow up with the instructor to be sure your work was approved
  • For group conversions, instructors should send names of all students involved and Student Admin #s to the Honors office by the end of the third week of classes.

return to top

Things to keep in mind if you want to convert a course:

  • Courses with sections (or equivalent courses) already offered for Honors credit in the same semester cannot be converted, students must enroll in the Honors section or equivalent course. [Students may convert courses where Honors sections are full.]
  • Graduate courses (5000 and above in the course catalog) may count as Honors credit toward your Honors graduation requirements if approved by your Honors advisor on your Honors Final Plan of Study. You do not need to complete a conversion form. Graduate courses will not be noted as “Honors credit” on your transcript.
  • S/U courses and courses placed on P/F are not eligible for Honors credit.
  • If you wish to do Honors work while studying abroad you may propose a conversion project with the on-site instructor. Study abroad conversions require approval from the Honors advisor in the department approving the course for UConn credit and the Honors advisor in the student’s major department. Alternatively, you may work under the supervision of the Honors advisor in the course department-from a distance-to complete a conversion project for a course taken while abroad.
  • Honors Course Conversion Forms are due by the third week of classes.
  • Instructors will be sent an email message asking them to approve Honors conversions via the on-line Honors conversion system (instructor portal).
  • Students may check the status of their conversions via the on-line Honors conversion system (student portal).
  • Honors advisors may view the status of the Honors conversions for their students via the on-line conversion system (advisor portal) and clicking on “Advisor Tools – View Conversions.”
  • Completed conversions will take 2 to 4 weeks to process after grades are posted and then the “Honors Credit” notation will appear on students’ transcripts
  • Make sure to consult the regulations included on the Honors Conversion Form Policy found on the forms page.

return to top

On-line Honors Conversion System (Approval & Status Review Portals)

return to top