If you are enrolled in the Honors Program, there are cases in which you may earn Honors credits in a non-Honors course. To do this, you work out a plan with the instructor of the course to be converted, submit an Honors conversion request to be approved by the instructor and your Honors Advisor, and “convert” the course to Honors credit by completing agreed upon work and earning a B- or above in the course and having it approved by the instructor.
IMPORTANT: Conversions are not allowed for courses with sections already offered for Honors credit or Honors course equivalents. Students must arrange their schedule to accomodate the Honors section (unless the Honors section is full at the time of registration).
The deadline for approved conversion requests for Spring 2023 is Friday, February 3rd. Please submit your requests early to allow time for approval from the instructor and your Honors advisor by this deadline.
Steps to Follow Before Submitting a Conversion Request
- Read the Honors Conversion Policy before pursuing an Honors Conversion.
- IMPORTANT: Search for the course in the Dynamic Class Search, Honors Classes Only. Conversions are not allowed for courses with sections already offered for Honors credit or Honors course equivalents. Students must arrange their schedule to accomodate the Honors section (unless the course is full at the time of registration).
- Communicate with the instructor to gain their support BEFORE submitting an online conversion request.
- Look up your Honors advisor prior to beginning your online request. Log into Student Admin, Academic Progress & Advising, Advisor tab, and cross check which advisor is on this list for your Honors major Honors advisor list by school/college.
- Only submit one request per course. If you create a duplicate please email email@example.com to have one removed from the system.
- Submit request(s) early in the semester to allow approval by the instructor and then your Honors advisor by the posted approval deadline, September 16th for Fall 2022.
- IMPORTANT: You must receive an email confirming that the instructor and your advisor approved your request, prior to beginning conversion work.
Submit an Honors Conversion Request
Submit your Honors conversion request. The deadline for approved conversion requests for Spring 2023 is Friday, February 3rd. Please submit your requests early to allow time for approval from the instructor and your Honors advisor by this deadline.
Spring/Fall approved conversion requests are due by the end of the 3rd week of the semester. A link will be posted at the beginning of the semester.
Winter/Summer approved conversion requests are due by the end of the 1st week of the course. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link.
Check the Status of Your Conversion
It is the student's responsibility to check the status of their conversion request(s) to be sure they have been approved by the instructor and by the advisor. The instructor must first approve, then the Honors advsior receives a request to approve.
Go to the Conversion Status page and click on Conversion Dashboard to log in.
Withdrawing from a Conversion Request
If you have decided not to continue with a conversion, please email email@example.com to let us know the subject and class number, as soon as possible, so that we can request an update to your record. Withdrawing a conversion request WILL NOT result in a note on your transcript.
Standards for an Honors Conversion
- Go more deeply into method or theory
- Address more sophisticated questions and/or include more advanced or demanding readings or problems
- Satisfy more rigorous standards than non-Honors coursework
Examples of Honors Conversion Projects
- Researching and writing an extra scholarly paper
- Preparing and delivering a presentation of relevant material to the class
- Attending symposia or lecture series and writing critical reviews of the ideas presented
- Participation in additional service activities or field experience and analyzing one's experiences
- Completing an additional set of challenging problems or laboratory experiments
- Participation in regular seminars that complement a class
Requirements to Convert or Enhance a Course
- Contact the instructor and discuss the possibility of converting it to Honors credit
- Develop a plan with the instructor to work individually or as part of a group to advance the curriculum
- Submit Course Conversion Agreement within the first 3 weeks of the semester
- Successfully complete any additional assignments and earn a B- or higher in the course
- Follow up with the instructor to be sure your work was approved
Things to Keep in Mind to Convert a Course
- Courses with sections (or equivalent courses) already offered for Honors credit in the same semester cannot be converted, students must enroll in the Honors section or equivalent course. [Students may convert courses where Honors sections are full.]
- Graduate courses (5000 and above in the course catalog) may count as Honors credit toward your Honors graduation requirements if approved by your Honors advisor on your Honors Final Plan of Study. You do not need to complete a conversion form. Graduate courses will not be noted as “Honors credit” on your transcript.
- S/U courses and courses placed on P/F are not eligible for Honors credit.
- If you wish to do Honors work while participating in an Education Abroad program, you may propose a conversion project with the on-site instructor. Education abroad conversions require approval from the Honors advisor in the department approving the course for UConn credit and the Honors advisor in the student’s major department. Alternatively, you may work under the supervision of the Honors advisor in the course department-from a distance-to complete a conversion project for a course taken while abroad.
- Deadlines: Fall/Spring: End of third week of classes | Inter/Sum: End of first week of class
- At the end of the semester, instructors will be sent an email message asking them to approve Honors conversions via the on-line Honors conversion system.
- Students may check the status of their conversions via the on-line Honors conversion system (coming soon).
- Instructors and Honors advisors may view the status of the Honors conversions for their students via the on-line conversion system (coming soon).
- Completed conversions will take 2 to 4 weeks to process after grades are posted and then the "Honors Credit" notation will appear on students' transcripts
- Make sure to consult the regulations included on the Honors Conversion Policy.