Honors Conversions

For May/Summer 2022: Approved conversion requests are due at the end of the 1st week of classes.

For Fall 2022: Approved conversion requests are due on September 16, 2022.

REMEMBER: The conversion process cannot be used if there is an available Honors version of the course.

If you are enrolled in the Honors Program, there are cases in which you may earn Honors credits in a non-Honors course. To do this, you work out a plan with the instructor of the course to be converted, submit an Honors conversion request to be approved by the instructor and your Honors Advisor, and “convert” the course to Honors credit by completing agreed upon work and earning a B- or above in the course and having it approved by the instructor.

Steps to Follow Before Submitting a Conversion Request

  • Read the Honors Conversion Policy before pursuing an Honors Conversion.
  • IMPORTANT: Search for the course in the Dynamic Class Search, Honors Classes Only.  Conversions are not allowed for courses with sections already offered for Honors credit or Honors course equivalents, unless the course is full at the time of registration.
  • Communicate with the instructor to gain their support before submitting an online conversion request.
  • Only submit requests for the current semester.
  • Look up your Honors advisor prior to beginning your online request. Log into Student Admin, Self Service, Student Center, My Academics, View My Advisors, and check which advisor is on this list for your Honors major Honors advisor list by school/college.
  • Submit only one request per course.  If you create a duplicate record notify honors@uconn.edu to have one removed from the system.
  • Submit request early in the semester to allow approval by the instructor and then your Honors advisor by the deadline.
  • IMPORTANT: You must receive an email confirming the instructor and advisor approved your request prior to beginning conversion work.

Submit an Honors Conversion Request

For May/Summer 2022: Approved conversion requests are due at the end of the 1st week of classes.

For Fall 2022: Approved conversion requests are due on September 16, 2022.

Submit an Honors Conversion Request  IMPORTANT: The conversion process cannot be used if there is an available Honors section/version of the course.

Winter/summer conversion requests are due by the end of the 1st week of the course.

Spring/fall conversion requests are due by the end of the 3rd week of the course.


Standards for an Honors Conversion

  • Go more deeply into method or theory
  • Address more sophisticated questions and/or include more advanced or demanding readings or problems
  • Satisfy more rigorous standards than non-Honors coursework

Examples of Honors Conversion Projects

  • Researching and writing an extra scholarly paper
  • Preparing and delivering a presentation of relevant material to the class
  • Attending symposia or lecture series and writing critical reviews of the ideas presented
  • Participation in additional service activities or field experience and analyzing one's experiences
  • Completing an additional set of challenging problems or laboratory experiments
  • Participation in regular seminars that complement a class

Requirements to Convert or Enhance a Course

  • Contact the instructor and discuss the possibility of converting it to Honors credit
  • Develop a plan with the instructor to work individually or as part of a group to advance the curriculum
  • Submit Course Conversion Agreement within the first 3 weeks of the semester
  • Successfully complete any additional assignments and earn a B- or higher in the course
  • Follow up with the instructor to be sure your work was approved

Things to Keep in Mind to Convert a Course

  • Courses with sections (or equivalent courses) already offered for Honors credit in the same semester cannot be converted, students must enroll in the Honors section or equivalent course. [Students may convert courses where Honors sections are full.]
  • Graduate courses (5000 and above in the course catalog) may count as Honors credit toward your Honors graduation requirements if approved by your Honors advisor on your Honors Final Plan of Study. You do not need to complete a conversion form. Graduate courses will not be noted as “Honors credit” on your transcript.
  • S/U courses and courses placed on P/F are not eligible for Honors credit.
  • If you wish to do Honors work while participating in an Education Abroad program, you may propose a conversion project with the on-site instructor. Education abroad conversions require approval from the Honors advisor in the department approving the course for UConn credit and the Honors advisor in the student’s major department. Alternatively, you may work under the supervision of the Honors advisor in the course department-from a distance-to complete a conversion project for a course taken while abroad.
  • Deadlines: Fall/Spring: End of third week of classes |  Inter/Sum: End of first week of class
  • At the end of the semester, instructors will be sent an email message asking them to approve Honors conversions via the on-line Honors conversion system.
  • Students may check the status of their conversions via the on-line Honors conversion system (coming soon).
  • Instructors and Honors advisors may view the status of the Honors conversions for their students via the on-line conversion system (coming soon).
  • Completed conversions will take 2 to 4 weeks to process after grades are posted and then the "Honors Credit" notation will appear on students' transcripts
  • Make sure to consult the regulations included on the Honors Conversion Policy.