For the current Academic Year, 2020-2021, students WILL be required to earn the minimum 6 Honor credits.
Policy Change for the last Academic Year, 2019-2020 ONLY: The minimum Honors credit requirement of 6 Honors credits per academic year was waived. Students were not required to make up these credits during the current Academic Year, unless they are needed to meet Honors graduation requirements. The Honors office did not conduct a formal academic participation review during summer 2020, although we may check in with students who fell below the limit. This policy change does not change any Honors award requirements.
The following requirement is for all Honors students, regardless of which year they entered UConn.
Academics are the cornerstone of the Honors Program, and we want to ensure that students take full advantage of the enriching Honors academic opportunities. It is important for you to earn the number of Honors credits you need to take per year as you work toward graduation as a University Honors Laureate and/or Honors scholar, and the Honors Academic Participation requirements.
Honors Academic Participation Requirements
To remain active in the Honors Program, Honors students must earn 6 Honors credits per academic year. You will meet the Honors Academic Participation Requirements by earning credits through Honors courses, Honors course conversions, or graduate courses which must be graded B- or above. Exceptions to the minimum Honors credit requirement may be granted for students who study abroad or participate in internship/co-op work for the entire academic year (not just one semester).
Dismissal Due to Insufficient Honors Credits
- Each summer the Honors Program will review your record to verify that you have met the academic participation requirement by earning the appropriate number of Honors credits.
- If you have not fulfilled the academic participation requirement, you will be sent a link to an Honors Academic Participation Dismissal Appeal form requesting documentation of your Honors academic participation.
- Please fill out the required Honors Academic Participation Dismissal Appeal by the deadline listed on the form.
- Students will be notified of the acceptance of their appeal in September by the end of the third week of classes.
- If you received notification in August and do not complete this form by the due date, you will be dropped from the Honors Program.
Minimum Grade in an Honors Course
You must earn a minimum of B- for an Honors course, conversion, or graduate course to receive Honors credit.