FAQs (Current Students)

Where is the Honors Program office and what are its hours?

John W. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education (ROWE ), Room 419 (Formerly “CUE”)
Phone: (860) 486-4223
Fax: (860) 486-0222
Email: honors@uconn.edu
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Monday through Friday)
(Please note the office is closed when the University is closed due to major holidays or inclement weather.)

Where do I turn in my Honors forms?

Unless otherwise noted, forms should be submitted to the Honors Program main office (ROWE 419, Unit 4147). Be sure all documents are signed by the correct people before you submit them. We take deadlines seriously, so we recommend that you plan ahead when forms are due. Your advisor may be busy when you need a last-minute signature. If you don’t know when something is due, ask us.

How is my Honors advisor assigned when I declare or change my major?

You are assigned a designated Honors advisor based on your major (or department, depending on the availability of advisors). It may be possible to change your advisor with the approval of your new advisor. Contact the Honors Program for more information.

When can I sign up for classes?

As an Honors student, you have the advantage of priority registration. The more credits you accrue, the higher your priority.

How will I know which courses to take?

Your Honors advisor is your guide through course registration. You should meet with your advisor before each registration period to discuss your schedule and the upcoming semester.

Is working towards Sophomore Honors mandatory?

No, but we strongly recommend it. Sophomore Honors was developed to provide a structure of engagement for Honors students. There are certain requirements you must fulfill to earn this honor, including submitting your application by the deadline. Students who earn Sophomore Honors are recognized with a certificate at the annual Fall Honors Ceremony. The achievement will also be noted on your transcript. We highly encourage all of our students to pursue this award.

Can credits used to earn Sophomore Honors also be used to meet the requirements for graduating as an Honors Scholar?

The “three additional Honors credits” or the “Honors Breadth and Depth” requirements may overlap with Honors credits used towards “Sophomore Honors”; however, no overlap between the requirements for “Sophomore Honors” and “Honors in the Major” is allowed. Learn more.

I filled out a conversion form to convert a non-Honors course to an Honors course, but when I check in PeopleSoft, it doesn’t show up as having Honors Credit. Why?

It depends. If the course was a graduate class, it will not be designated as “Honors Credit”. Did you earn a B- or higher in the course? Did your professor sign off on your work? If you submitted paperwork with all of the correct signatures and completed all of the necessary requirements for a conversion, then the notation may not have been posted yet. It can take up to 3 or 4 weeks for “Honors Credit” to appear. If you do not see the notation after that time period, contact the Honors office.

I don’t see “Honors Program” and/or “Good Standing” on my transcript. Am I still in the Honors Program?

Honors Program” should appear on your transcript just after your GPA. “Good Standing” is a University notation, not an Honors Program notation. If you have any questions about your standing, you should contact the Honors Program. Students in jeopardy of dismissal from the Honors Program will be notified.

When should I begin my Honors thesis?

Most students begin working on their Honors thesis during their junior year, but the schedule varies from major to major. Students in the sciences should have confirmed a place in a lab by the start of their junior year while students in the humanities or social sciences might not begin their thesis until the fall of their senior year. Ideally, within the first two years you should begin to think about the general areas that interest you and strive to form relationships with faculty mentors. By the end of your sophomore year, you should complete a thesis preparation workshop and be narrowing down options for your thesis advisor.

How do I reserve space in the Honors Conference Room (ROWE/CUE 420)?

Email us.

If you don’t see the answer to your question here, feel free to contact us.